Most of us would agree that we should teach our children about science. But why is it so important, and which educational toys are best for the job?
Early education is often centred on the two ‘big’ skills – numeracy and literacy. However, there’s no denying that learning about science from a young age is incredibly important too. After all, almost every activity that your child will undertake in their lives involves science to some degree or another.
Why Is Science So Important For Kids?
Children are surrounded by science from the moment they are born. Every day reveals new weather, objects, flavors, sounds and images. Every toy has different physical properties and can be used in different ways. Even the processes in their own body, such as digesting food and breathing, are explained by science!
It’s unsurprising that young people are so naturally drawn to the scientific world – because ultimately, it’s the world of exploration. Science helps them to make sense of their environment, from grasping complex concepts of outer space, to understanding how their own brain works.
The Transferable Skills Of Science
However, science is more than just a matter of understanding the world. Developing the ability to question things scientifically is an important life skill, and helps boost your child’s capacity for logical thinking and reasoning. It teaches children how to think about things rationally, and how to understand basic physical laws, such as heat, gravity and pressure.
It also encourages exploration, testing and experimentation. Exploring the physical properties of objects enables children to predict how similar objects may behave. Squeezing a squidgy ball, for example, teaches them that other objects with the same appearance are likely to feel the same. At times, this can be especially useful – for example, when learning that things that omit heat can burn!
As a result, it’s a great idea to foster their natural curiosity with educational science toys. Here are some awesome scientific-themed toys for your children to enjoy.
Educational Science Toys For Children
- Living Science – An ant factory – Children often learn about habitats at school, and there’s no better way to understand the topic than by seeing one in action. Your child can learn about basic ecology, whilst also learning some important lessons about looking after living creatures.
- Microscope – A microscope is an excellent educational toy for your child. Gather objects from the garden, such as leaves, bugs and small pebbles, and ask your child to comment what they look like up close. Then ask them to think about why the objects look like that – for example, why does a leaf have such a delicate skeleton? You can also examine objects from within the house to help understand their physical properties.
- Get Cooking – Cookery is a wonderful introduction to the world of chemistry. Like chemistry, it involves mixing elements together to make new substances. Your child can gain understanding about how temperature can affect different types of food, how the food changes color when different substances are added to it, and what different foods feel like to touch.
- Geology Set – Geology is a fascinating aspect of science, helping children to understand the history of the planet and how it has changed over time. If your child seems naturally interested by fossils, geodes and stones, a geology set will help them to explore these things in greater depth, and to develop understanding of how the Earth itself was formed.
- Window Garden Set – Help your child to understand biology by investing in a window garden set, where they can plant seeds and watch their plants slowly grow. A specialist set will have a clear base, which enables your child to not only see the sprouting seedlings, but also the roots underneath.
Scientific Educational Toys At Kiddit
If you’d like to encourage your child’s natural enthusiasm for science, then explore our range of exciting educational toys by visiting the Kiddit website today.